Around the Tower
The Tower of the King
The Round Tower is one of the most Denmark’s best-known and most visited edifices. The foundation stone was laid on 7/7 1637 and five years later the Round Tower was finished as the first part of the Trinity Complex, which was designed to accommodate three things: the Observatory at the top of the tower, the University Library above the Trinity Church and the church itself below.
The Round Tower is built by King Christian IV, who constructed its round walls in the royal colours yellow and red. The King himself also sketched the famous golden rebus on the front of the tower: Lead, God, the right teachings and justice into the heart of King Christian IV.